Friday, November 12, 2010

Ministry

At this point in my life my plan is to be a youth pastor at my home church, Graceland Baptist Church. I see the students there and at my school who are searching for something. They don't know where to go though. No matter where they go it only seems to be about the rules and regulations. I know in my life that is a huge difficulty. I have heard it in my church experience for as long as i have been there; Christianity is not about Rules, it's about God's love. That is the extent of it. They never show why it is that way. I have recently come to realize why it is not about the rules. Knowing why has been a major factor in why i desire to become a youth pastor. Many students do not know this because they do not have solid theology, or a correct understanding of the Bible.

First, I have adopted an ideal of how my ministry will function. I call it "Tetherball Ministry." If you have ever played tetherball you will be able to follow my next thoughts. In short, if you do not know this game, there is a ball tied to a rope that is connect to a pole that is cemented into the ground. The point is to get the ball wrapped completely around the pole. This game, if both players are good, may take some time. Here is the philosophy behind this. while what we do within the ministry may not seem like it has anything to do with Christ, it will always be tied to him! And after some time, the rope will wrap around the pole again and again, until finally the rope is completely wrapped around. 


So, in my ministry I will have will present two different things, sound Biblical theology and Historical context. obviously there will be many other things I present, but within each thing I will attempt to have these present. The reason for the first one is obvious, though the second may seem slightly more ambiguous. I am currently in a  Paul's Early Letters class. In this class we are looking at the historical context of everything. Why was Paul writing them, what was their culture like, why was this particular issue an issue, why did the understand Christ the way they did? All of these are answered when looking at the historical context and when we know that we can much better understand what it will mean to us and we truly know what the author is saying.  

I will obviously deal with current issues and ground everything solidly in the Bible. I will talk about taboo subjects like sex, homosexuality, and masturbation. I will talk about not only what I believe will help the students on their journey, but I will talk about what the students best believe will help them. In this way...

the hearts of the students will be reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment